Here are a few bits and bobs from the last couple of weeks:
- Paul’s little car got totaled in a hit-and-run. We were able to replace it for a mere $1,200 with this lovely blue 1995 Toyota Corolla, with four brand new tires, working A/C, and hitch. The Check Engine Light, several non-working seat-belts, and a cracked windshield were the only downers, but otherwise it’s a pretty good little car and we’re grateful to have it. Oh, and he named it “Green.” Cuz that’s just the kind of guy he is.
- Ruben with punk hair – gotta love it!
- Efrain and Ellie are besties, every day. They play well together, and Efrain especially dotes upon big-brothering the wee fairie. This particular day they found some pairs of Jacob’s old jeans and thought it was hilarious trying to wear them. I agreed.
- We started summer school the second week of June, after VBS was finished. I’m blessed to have Megan helping me, taking on the primary teaching role and keeping everyone organized, motivated, and on track. She’s such a pro! We are doing some Sing, Spell, Read and Write; Summer Brain Books; math worksheets; and lots of reading. So far the books in progress include: The Sword Bearer, The Magician’s Nephew, Jungle Book, and The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I’m so proud of these kids, they are really challenging themselves! It’s a big adjustment mentally for them to do “home school” when they are normally at public school during the year. I think we have come a long way already in our first week, and I am confident we will see great progress by the end of July.
- Now that we no longer have the puppy who chewed everything to bits, I decided it was safe once again to get myself an exercise ball. Unfortunately, it is so popular I can already tell I am going to need to buy more of them. Because my house is not full enough yet, of course. <insert sarcasm face> I may have to get
oneseveral of those stacking systems.
- There’s nothing like watching big sibs help little sibs help the very littlest sibs – Geneva coaching Efrain on feeding Baby Ruben was priceless.
- I have no idea why, but there was that one day where Efrain decided he had to wear his shirt up over his head for the whole day. Weird.